Saturday, May 9, 2009

Day 1


Today was the first day of medicine. He took it at 9 am.

9:30 - 10:30 John's mood lightened and he began talking non-stop. He was in a great mood and was explaining everything, trying to help his sister, and being overall a little manic.
I worried a little, I mean I like the fact that the "cloud" was lifted. I liked that he was feeling confident and secure in his conversation with me. I liked that he wasn't feeling so rigid and that he was wanting to explain himself verbally (something he doesn't always do well, he's always been an act first kind of kid). But I worried, this was a little much.

10:30-12:30 John slowly stopped the chit chat and finished painting his bird house. He sat and painted for at least an hour, if not more. He's been focused before, but what I noticed today is that he was taking more care with his work. He wasn't so hurried or careless. It was subtle and may just be a result of working on something he enjoyed.
He then curled up in the chair to watch a movie. He stayed that way for the entire movie. I kept asking if he felt ok (he's had strep since Thursday) and he said he was fine. I asked if he was bored. He said he wasn't.

12:30-2:00 Another movie after a little break to paint some more. Really? this time he played on and off with his GI Joe's while he watched.

2:00-4:00 Video games. So here's the thing, two hours of video games would usually send him into a frustrated conniption fit. I don't know if he's even played two hours of video games before. Usually 30 minutes tops before he starts to scream and throw the controllers.

4:15 Getting ready to leave and suddenly he is making gross jokes and noises. He runs up behind me and punches my bottom (one of his favorite things to do to make me mad). He starts to yell at his sister. I raise my voice at him for the first time since 9 am. The medicine has worn off.

I don't usually like my kids to watch a full day of TV followed by video games, but he wasn't allowed to play with friends because he's been sick. We will see what tomorrow brings...

Today I felt like I was having a break, I even felt a little bored. I guess yelling and arguing with a 5 year old all day keeps me busy. I also felt like I was chasing after Katherine much more today, but I was also glad that I was able to interact with her in a more positive light.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a pretty successful first day! I hope the patter continues, Alyssa...sounds like a new normal may start to emerge for you! I'm excited for the possibilities ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete