
We saw our pediatrician today to see about medication for John. He wrote the script but was hesitant to call him ADD or ADHD. He does not exhibit the lack of attention or hyperactivity one would expect in an ADD child. His scores for oppositional behavior, however, were off the charts.
So we are going to try the medicine to see if it helps with his impulse control, but the Dr. warned me that John's issues are much more complex than medication can solve. A little bittersweet. It doesn't help that I got a call from the pharmacy to let me know the insurance requires a full report from the Dr. before they will pay for the drug. Hopefully we will have it by next week sometime.
Now I am sitting here wondering what Oppositional Defiant Disorder really means. According to Jared it practically means a prison sentence. Literally. I've always been under the impression that it is an easy label for kids who misbehave and there isn't much you can do about it. The psychologis says he believes it is an indicator of an underlying problem. So what is the source?
So I wonder... what happend to my little boy, and why can't anyone fix it?
I just figured they labeled Eli with ODD (with a sprinkle of OCD as well) because they just didn't have anything else to call it. Honestly, when they told me that, I thought they totally made it up just for us. Guess not. The Dc. that diagnosed him at Children's told me that it's easy to 'cure'. Really?
ReplyDeletehow adorable is he in that picture?
ReplyDelete