We have had a few rough weeks with our favorite boy. He spent one day doing work in the Principal's office, and another doing work at home. His behavior at school has been better this week, but he is falling apart at the drop of a hat. Jared and I are frustrated trying to figure out how to help him. He seems depressed, edgy, irritable, and tired.
What is hard about this whole journey is that no one knows for certain what it is that is causing all of this. We have started to see a counselor and a psychiatrist. There is no "quick fix", especially when there is no official diagnosis. We have started a new medication in hopes of phasing out the other, but there doesn't seem to be any noticeable change yet.
I think I am just beginning to grasp the fact that this is going to be a lifelong journey with him. And that seems daunting and sad at this point.
Tommy (the best Natureopathic Dr. in the world) has ordered a Neurotransmitter test. The panel is supposed to indicate if there are imbalances in his metabolic and endocrine systems. I don't really know what that means but it sounds fancy. Based on the results we can then figure out if supplements and dietary changes can help.
Oh yeah, and he didn't make it into the Discovery Program and I have to think that might be for the best. I have the Principal's word at his current school that they will continue to try to challenge him academically. It was funny because at our meeting in January they were all like, "wow, he is really smart, has he been tested?" Duh, what have I been saying this whole time?
And so we keep going. We have had several months of pretty good behavior and positive work, so this is just a stumbling block to remind me that he is sensitive to any minor change. It also reminds me that we still don't know for sure what he is dealing with. And we probably won't ever really know.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
don't you hate people that have perfect kids? I do. I feel for you Alyssa ... and hope that the fancy pants dr has some answers for you.
ReplyDeleteI only wear my fancy pants on Fridays!
ReplyDeleteI didn't realize you stuck a link in your blog - thanks.
I really think the neurotransmitter test is going to help shed some light and hopefully give you a direction to go. Talk to you soon.
hey there - I may be way off, but I think I remember in one of your posts that John has been given an ADHD diagnosis, if that's true, you might want to read "Healing ADD" by Dr. Amen...it's fascinating...and made a huge difference for me and Jake.
ReplyDelete